Which Side of History?
James P. Steyer
Which Side of History? offers a collection of bold essays on how technology is affecting democracy, society, and our future.
Featuring prominent national voices such as Sacha Baron Cohen, Marc Benioff, Ellen Pao, Ken Auletta, Chelsea Clinton, Tim Wu, Khaled Hosseini, Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn, Jaron Lanier, Willow Bay, Sal Khan, Sherry Turkle, Shoshana Zuboff, Vivek Murthy, Geoffrey Canada, and many more.
The essays focus on the extraordinary impact of technology on our privacy, kids and families, race and gender roles, democracy, climate change, and mental health.
This groundbreaking book challenges opinion leaders and the broader public to take action to improve technology’s effects on our lives.
• Featuring notable journalists, engineers, entrepreneurs, novelists, activists, filmmakers, business leaders, scholars, and researchers, including: Thomas Friedman, Kara Swisher, Michelle Alexander, Jennifer Siebel Newsom, Jenna Wortham, Cameron Kasky, Howard Gardner, and Tristan Harris.
• Explores the ethical behavior of Big Tech, or the lack thereof.
• Offers roadmaps for constructive change and thought-provoking perspectives.
With the rise of cyberbullying and hate speech online, issues around climate change and technology, and the “move fast and break things” mentality of tech culture, Which Side of History? will urge readers to draw the line.
• This book will help shape the conversations we have around technology in our society and our future for years to come.
• A smart gift for anyone who approaches tech and the future with a healthy skepticism
• Edited by James P. Steyer, the CEO and founder of Common Sense Media.
• Add it to the shelf with books like Ten Arguments for Deleting Your Social Media Accounts Right Now by Jaron Lanier, The Shallows: What the Internet Is Doing to Our Brains by Nicholas Carr, and The Age of Surveillance Capitalism: The Fight for a Human Future at the New Frontier of Power by Shoshana Zuboff.
James P. Steyer is the CEO and founder of Common Sense Media, the nation’s leading independent nonprofit organization dedicated to creating a powerful voice for kids and families in the 21st century. Steyer is an expert on children’s media and education in the United States and an award-winning consulting professor at Stanford University. Steyer is also the nationally acclaimed author of Talking Back to Facebook and The Other Parent.
|Format||Paperback / softback|
|Publication Date||13 October 2020|