Girls and Their Cats
For New York City fashion and beauty photographer BriAnne Wills, the
“crazy cat lady” is a myth. Co-written with Elyse Moody, senior editor
at Martha Stewart Living, this book redefines the stereotype by
showcasing 50 strong, independent, and artistic women who take the
world in stride, flanked by their beloved felines. With its vibrant
cover and gorgeous faux-suede spine, Girls and Their Cats
features striking portraits and engaging profiles of each woman and her
cat—or cats—including fun facts unique to each furry friend.
• Hannah Shaw, humane educator, animal advocate, and founder of the neonatal kitten rescue project Kitten Lady
• Christene Barberich, cofounder of Refinery29
• Alyssa Mastromonaco, author, Crooked Media podcast host, and reproductive rights activist
• Maria Hinojosa, anchor and executive producer of NPR’s Latino USA
• Nikki Garcia, owner and designer of the clothing line First Rite
• Erica Chidi Cohen, doula, author, and cofounder of the reproductive health education company Loom
• Anka Lavriv, tattoo artist and co-owner of Black Iris Tattoo
throughout are amusing lists any cat lady will find relatable, from
“How to Catproof Your Home” to “The Chorus of Cat Sounds,” as well as an
adoption resource guide and a list of rescue organizations in the
United States and Canada.
This irresistible book celebrates the
powerful bond between a girl and her cat, proving that we need them just
as much as they need us.
BriAnne Wills is a fashion and beauty photographer in New York. She graduated from the University of Oregon in 2007 with a degree in journalism, but quickly discovered her passion for storytelling through photography. After four years in China, the Czech Republic, and Ukraine, BriAnne moved to Brooklyn in 2014 with her husband and two rescue cats from Kiev (Tucker a.k.a. Tuck, and Liza) to pursue fashion photography.
Her work has been published in Teen Vogue, Nylon, Spin, Italian Vogue, and ELLE, and her clients include Refinery29, Wildfang, Milk Makeup, Buxom Cosmetics, Maybelline, Shiseido, and The Coveteur. Teen Vogue commissioned BriAnne to shoot a “Cats and Cat Eyes” beauty editorial inspired by her photo series.
BriAnne has also produced social media content for Meow Mix, Persil Pro Clean, and Fresh Step, and shot the ad campaign for a new cat food company called Smalls (think of it as Blue Apron for cats), created by the former director of marketing for Thinx, the start-up that makes period-proof underwear.
|Publication Date||20 August 2019|