Smoke, Roots, Mountain, Harvest
Go deep into the heart and soul of American southern cooking. Smoke Roots Mountain Harvest by Lauren McDuffie, writer of the award-winning food blog Harvest and Honey (and a Saveur Best Blog finalist for “Best New Voice”), captures the flavors and modern cooking techniques of Appalachia and the Blue Ridge Mountains in this evocative cookbook.
This beautiful cookbook showcases 70 recipes and 80 photographs organized by seasons. Each chapter opens with storytelling that echoes the folklore and tall tales of the region, centered on rediscovering the unique food culture of the region. Menu suggestions and wine pairings encompass a variety of meal occasions, from small plates to soups, salads, mains, sides, drinks, dessert, along with tips and techniques on canning, pickling, and preserving.
• Shaved Summer Squash Salad with Pickled Pepper Vinaigrette
• Slow-Roasted Onion and Golden Apple Soup
• Baked Pork Chops with Cran-Apple Moonshine Compote
• Drunken Short Ribs with Smoky Gouda Grits & Mountain Gremolata
• Pan-Seared Carrots with Bourbon-Maple Glaze
• Triple Orange Cake with Honey-Lavender Buttercream
Lauren McDuffie is an Appalachian born and bred freelance writer, food stylist, photographer, and creator of the blog Harvest and Honey. She lives in Indianapolis, Indiana.
|Publication Date||14 May 2019|
|Illustrations||HC, Unjacketed, Full colour photographs throughout|