Now it’s getting colder, our hot chocolate crave-o-meter is off the charts. Luckily, the amazing Yvette van Boven has the perfect Christmassy recipe to quench our thirst/hunger/NEED. Did we mention it includes MARSHMALLOWS?
The following recipe is extracted from Home Made Christmas by Yvette van Boven (photography by Oof Verschuren)
Ginger hot chocolate with roasted marshmallows
Makes 3 to 4 mugs
- 500ml milk
- 2 tablespoons peeled and finely grated fresh ginger
- 100g good-quality dark chocolate (at least 70% cacao), in chunks
- 2 to 3 handfuls of marshmallows
- A pinch of ground ginger
1. Heat the milk with the ginger, but don’t let it boil. Let simmer over very low heat for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the chocolate but don’t stir yet. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Using a small whisk, stir the chocolate with the milk until thoroughly combined, then pour the mixture through a sieve to remove the solids.
2. Using a metal skewer, roast the marshmallows over a gas burner, with a brûlée torch (that’s what I do), over a candle, or in the fireplace.
3. Fill three or four mugs three-quarters full with the hot chocolate and divide the marshmallows among them. Sprinkle with ground ginger and serve immediately.
Get your copy of Home Made Christmas here.