Our Bookshop of the Month for April is the world-famous Notting Hill Bookshop, renowned for originally specialising in travel books and its interior featuring in the film Notting Hill, with Hugh Grant and Julia Roberts! Fans of the film still regularly visit from all over the world.
The shop is located in the heart of beautiful Notting Hill, minutes from the vibrant Portobello Market. It opened in 1979, and broadened its stock to cover a wider variety of books in 2011. It still has a sizeable travel section, but also now plays host to beautiful gift editions, pocket hardbacks, satin-bound classics, golden gilt leather-bounds and much more! We have a particular soft spot for the children’s section, nestled at the back and waiting to be discovered.
If your in the Notting Hill area, pop in and don’t be surprised if you find yourself losing track of time browsing all that this shop has to offer – you never know what you may find there!
We caught up with owner Olga and asked her a few questions:
1. Congratulations on being chosen as our April Bookshop of the Month! We’ve talked a bit about you and the shop but how would you describe the Notting Hill Bookshop in three words?
Cosy, vibrant, welcoming.
2. Where is your favourite spot in the store?
Our Weird & Wonderful section full of very strange books indeed!
3. Where do you like to read?
Very, very far from the madding crowd – Richmond Park being the favourite place.
4. If you weren’t a bookseller what would you be?
I would still find a way to become a bookseller!
5. Excluding Notting Hill Bookshop – what is your favourite bookshop?
‘Much Ado Books’ in Alfriston, East Sussex – absolutely charming and full of antiquarian treasures.