Looking to add some more autumnal recipes to your baking arsenal? Look no further! We have an easy recipe for some scrumptious Banana Cinnamon Swirl Muffins. What better way to celebrate National Baking Week!
This yummy recipe is taken straight out of I Can Cook Vegan by Isa Chandra Moskowitz, the undisputed queen of vegan home cooking. This recipe makes jumbo muffins, but if you like, you can make regular-size muffins. Just do two layers of batter and cinnamon mixture instead of three.
Banana Cinnamon Swirl Muffins
335 g mashed banana, from about 3 very ripe bananas
60 ml almond milk
60 ml unsweetened applesauce
2 tablespoons refined coconut oil, melted
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
190 g all-purpose flour
2½ teaspoons baking powder
100 g granulated sugar
½ teaspoon salt
For the swirl
110 g packed dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon refined coconut oil, melted
Makes 6 jumbo muffins
- Preheat the oven to 175°C. Grease a jumbo muffin pan and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix well the mashed bananas, milk, applesauce, coconut oil, and vanilla.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Make a well in the centre and add the banana mixture. Mix just until no large lumps remain.
- Make the swirl: In a small bowl, mix together all the swirl ingredients.
- Into each muffin cup, spoon about two tablespoons of the batter. Sprinkle with a scant tablespoon of the cinnamon mixture. Spoon another layer of batter, and another layer of cinnamon mix. Repeat one more time so you have 3 layers of each. Use a toothpick to lightly swirl in the cinnamon, about 5 times. Add the final amount of batter, and give another 5 swirls.
- Bake for 22 to 24 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean and muffins are firm and puffy on top. Let cool in baking pans and, once you can handle the muffins, invert onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
Get your copy of I Can Cook Vegan here.