Our October Bookshop of the Month is The New Bookshop located in the lovely town of Cockermouth, Cumbria. The pale blue shelving, feature tables and stunning passage ways with walls of books are beautiful and enticing, asking you to spend some time here. The children’s book area, at the back of the store, is like a den of wonders inviting people of all ages to dive in to the plethora of wonderful titles to be found there. The shop feels spacious yet cosy and is a relaxed place to find your next read. If trying to decide which book(s) you should leave with is proving a little tricky, you can take a break in the gorgeous café spanning 2 floors and grab yourself a cup of tea with a freshly baked cake. What more could you want?
We caught up with owner Catherine Hetherington and asked her a few questions:
1. Congratulations on being chosen as our October Bookshop of the Month! We’ve talked a bit about you and the shop, but how would you describe The New Bookshop in three words?
Friendly, knowledgeable, community-hub
2. Where is your favourite spot in the store?
The front door as you enter the shop
3. Where do you like to read?
4. If you weren’t a bookseller what would you be?
Doing something arty/crafty
5. Excluding The New Bookshop – What is your favourite bookshop?
Salts Mill, Yorkshire
The New Bookshop can be found at:
42 – 44 Main Street